2023-24 Salary Cap Tracker
This Fanpost is to track the Blazers salary situation as the Free Agency / Trading period / Pre-season unfolds. I'll update it during the next several months as the Blazers make moves.
This is not a prediction, it is a Tracker. It is meant to show where the Blazers are with respect to the Tax Threshold and the 1st Apron. The 1st Apron becomes a hard-cap if the Blazers use more than $5M (the TP-MLE amount) of their $12.4M MLE (Mid-Level Exception), use the $4.5M BAE (Bi-Annual Exception), or if they accept a Sign & Traded player.
The table contains players with guaranteed and non-guaranteed contracts, and Blazer Free Agents. The Blazers must have a minimum of 14, and a maximum of 15, regular player contracts entering the season. Two-Way players do not count against the salary cap so they are not included. (They may carry 21 contracts until the season begins.)
The Potential column is the player's current salary, or for free agents it's the maximum salary the Blazers can offer using the various Bird Rights applicable to each free agent. I've also listed the amounts of the other Exceptions (MLE, BAE, TPE) that are available to the Blazers.
In order to provide some context for the Blazers Salary Cap situation I've provided a Projection column, which I will update with the actual moves and transactions the Blazers make.
The Blazers received Jrue Holiday as part of the Lillard trade. Jrue doesn't fit the Blazers rebuild timeline so it is expected he will be traded for additional players or picks, perhaps within days.
The Projection/Actual column now includes 14 players, the minimum number of regular (non-2-way) contracts necessary at the start of the season (15 is the maximum allowed). The Team Salary is about $19K above the tax threshold. However, 3 players have only partially, or completely non-guaranteed contracts, and may be waived to make roster spots for additional players coming back in an expected Jrue Holiday trade.
The Blazers should be able to easily duck the luxury tax with either a Jrue Holiday trade, other trades, or by replacing one of their non-guaranteed veteran minimum contracts with a less expensive non-drafted player minimum salary contract.
DECISIONS & TRANSACTIONS
1. 6/29 Thybulle - Qualifying Offer Tendered - now RFA
2. 6/29 Reddish - Qualifying Offer Not Tendered - now UFA
3. 6/30 Knox - Team Option Declined - now UFA
4. 6/30 Watford - Non-guaranteed contract - Waived
5. 7/1 Grant - Signed for $27.6M
6. 7/1 Eubanks & Reddish - signed with other teams
7. 7/2 Dame Lillard - asked to be traded
8. 7/5 Thybulle - signed $10.5M Dallas offer sheet
9. 7/6 Thybulle - Blazers matched offer sheet - 3 years, $11.5M player option 3rd year
10. 7/19 Walker - Salary became fully guaranteed for 2023-24
11. 7/28 Williams - Waived prior to contract becoming guaranteed
12. 8/22 Moses Brown - signed to 1 year contract, $250K/$500K guaranteed for camp/start of season
13. 9/27 Lillard, Nurkic, Little, Johnson - traded for Deandre Ayton, Jrue Holiday and Toumani Camara.
|3||Jerami Grant UFA re-signed||40,800,000||27,586,207|
|5||Matisse Thybulle RFA matched||34,000,000||10,500,000|
|Non-guaranteed (part or all)|
|12||Moses Brown $250K/$500K guarantee camp/season||2,165,000|
|14||Kevin Knox UFA Non-Bird||3,600,000||2,165,000|
|Full MLE (Must be below Apron)||12,405,000|
|BAE (Must be below Apron)||4,516,000|
|TPE (Lillard trade)||8,778,377|
|TPE (Payton trade)||8,300,000|
|TPE (Hart trade)||2,626,019|
|Minimum 2 yr+ Veteran||2,019,706|
|Subtotal w/Dead Money||165,312,746|
|Over Tax Level||18,746|
|Above 1st Apron||(7,033,254)|
|Total with Tax||165,340,865|