clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Trail Blazers Can’t Quite Catch Up to Warriors

Steph Curry had his most unusual game in the last five years, but Golden State still won.

Golden State Warriors v Portland Trail Blazers Photo by Cameron Browne/NBAE via Getty Images

The Portland Trail Blazers were defeated by the Golden State Warriors 118-114 on Sunday night after the Warriors were able to hold off a late comeback attempt by the Blazers. The Blazers were led in scoring by Jerami Grant who finished the game with 30 points. Anfernee Simons added 24 of his own to finish second on the team.

The Warriors were led in scoring by the 28 points of Klay Thompson and 25 points from Andrew Wiggins.

Stephen Curry, who finished the game with just seven points, was unable to make a three-pointer. That broke a streak of 268 consecutive games that Curry made a three, the longest in NBA history.

First Quarter

The Warriors wasted no time in trying to bury Portland from behind the arc. An 8-0 run from Golden State to open the game was helped by a pair of early threes from Thompson and Jonathan Kuminga. The Blazers were able to keep the game from getting out of hand right away with some aggressive offense of their own.

Neither Portland nor the Warriors were able to string together multiple made shots as the lead for Golden State stayed consistent for most of the first quarter. Scoot Henderson was the benefactor of a successful challenge, having a charge turned into an and-1 layup, to make the score 18-17 in favor of the Warriors with three minutes left in the quarter.

The Blazers were able to stay close throughout the opening quarter, but they were held at arm’s length by Golden State. The Warriors led 27-23 at the end of the first.

Second Quarter

Both teams found success from behind the arc early in the second quarter. However, the Warriors were able to get an edge in the three-point parade and expanded their lead to nine points just over four minutes into the period. Malcolm Brogdon helped keep the Blazers in the game, both with strong shooting behind the arc, and finding open shooters with assists.

In an uncharacteristic showing from both lead guards, Simons and Curry were both held without a field goal most of the way through the first half. The Warriors were able to find more success in a game that emphasized scoring from other players. Golden State was able to take advantage of a couple of sloppy turnovers from the Blazers to jump out to a 55-43 lead with about three minutes left in the half.

The Portland defense continued to allow easy access to the paint, and the Warriors took full advantage of that opportunity late in the first half. Golden State rattled off an 8-0 run to end the half, with all of the points coming in the paint. Portland trailed 65-49 as the game went into halftime.

Third Quarter

Thompson wasted no time at the start of the third quarter. He opened the second half on a personal 8-2 run to extend the Warrior lead up to 22 points less than two minutes into the third. However, the Blazers were able to respond in a massive way. Anfernee Simons was able to find his scoring touch, recording nine points in the first four minutes of the second half, and being the main contributor to a 10-0 run from Portland.

Portland was able to keep chipping away at the Golden State lead a little bit at a time. A pair of Toumani Camara three-pointers, his second and third of the game, highlighted a 18-5 Blazer run that tied the score at 82 with just over two minutes left in the third quarter.

The massive comeback was spurred by great three-point shooting from the Blazers. Portland made four three pointers during the hot streak. The Warriors were able to regain the lead late in the quarter and the game went into the final frame with an 89-84 advantage for Golden State.

Fourth Quarter

Both teams stumbled out of the gates in the final quarter of play. Just under three minutes into the quarter Portland had cut the lead to two points with a 91-89 score. The Blazers were able to tie the game multiple times, but the Warriors had an answer at every turn, never allowing Portland to take the lead.

Golden State utilized an 11-0 run to try and slam the door on Portland. Despite the run, Curry still was unable to find his stride. He missed multiple great looks from deep that would have pushed the lead even higher.

The Blazers made one last push to steal the game late from the Warriors. The game got as close as two after an and-1 layup from Shaedon Sharpe, but a Chris Paul jumpshot with 20 seconds left in the game put Golden State back up by four at 115-111. Another Portland and-1, this time from Simons, brought the game back down to a one point game with 15 seconds left.

After a missed free throw from Curry leaving just a two-point lead, Sharpe sprinted down the court in an attempt to tie the game. However, he was called for a charge. The Warriors got the ball back and were able to hold on for the final .6 seconds of the game.

Up Next

Stay tuned for an in-depth analysis of the game coming soon.

Box Score

The Blazers will be back in action on Tues. December 19 against the Phoenix Suns at 7:00 p.m.