2023-24 Salary Cap Tracker
November 11, 2023
This Fanpost was originally started in July to track the Blazers salary situation as the Free Agency / Trading period / Pre-season unfolded. It's now mid-November and the Blazers have been hit with a rash of early season injuries to Point Guards. Consequently they have converted Skylar Mays from a 2-way contract to a regular season contract.
The Blazers no longer have any open roster spots. If they want to make another roster addition they would have to waive or trade a player from the roster. They still have some room ($3.5M) under the Tax Threshold to make trades that would bring back more salary than they send out. They could also use a TPE earned in the Lillard or Payton trades. Or use a Mid-level or Minimum Salary Exception if they wanted to bring in a Free Agent.
This is not a prediction, it is a Tracker. It's to show where the Blazers are with respect to the Tax Threshold and the 1st Apron. The 1st Apron becomes a hard-cap if the Blazers use more than $5M (the TP-MLE amount) of their $12.4M MLE (Mid-Level Exception), use the $4.5M BAE (Bi-Annual Exception), or if they accept a Sign & Traded player.
The Potential column lists the expected salary of free agents with potential to remain following training camp and pre-season. It also lists the amounts of the Exceptions (MLE, BAE, TPE) that are available to the Blazers.
The Projection/Actual column now includes 15 players, the maximum number of regular contracts allowed. The Blazers have 3 players with 2-way contracts, but those do not count against the team salary.
The Team Salary is about $3.5M below the tax threshold. Moses Brown's $2.0M contract is only guaranteed for $500K. Skylar Mays $1.8M pro-rated minimum salary is guaranteed for $850K. If either player is waived prior to January 10, when all contracts become fully guaranteed, it would make additional room available below the Tax Threshold.
DECISIONS & TRANSACTIONS
1. 6/29 Thybulle - Qualifying Offer Tendered - now RFA
2. 6/29 Reddish - Qualifying Offer Not Tendered - now UFA
3. 6/30 Knox - Team Option Declined - now UFA
4. 6/30 Watford - Non-guaranteed contract - Waived
5. 7/1 Grant - Signed for $27.6M
6. 7/1 Eubanks & Reddish - signed with other teams
7. 7/2 Dame Lillard - asked to be traded
8. 7/5 Thybulle - signed $10.5M Dallas offer sheet
9. 7/6 Thybulle - Blazers matched offer sheet - 3 years, $11.5M player option 3rd year
10. 7/19 Walker - Salary became fully guaranteed for 2023-24
11. 7/28 Williams - Waived prior to contract becoming guaranteed
12. 8/22 Moses Brown - signed to 1 year contract, $250K/$500K guaranteed for camp/start of season
13. 9/27 Lillard, Nurkic, Little, Johnson - traded for Deandre Ayton, Jrue Holiday and Toumani Camara.
14. 10/1 Holiday - traded for Malcolm Brogdon and Robert Williams
15. 10/21 Wainright - Signed off waivers (from Phoenix) [Reath and Knox waived by Blazers]
16. 11/11 Mays - 2-way contract converted to a regular season contract
|2||Jerami Grant UFA re-signed||27,586,207|
|6||Matisse Thybulle RFA matched||10,500,000|
|Non-guaranteed (part or all)|
|14||Moses Brown $500K guaranteed||2,019,706|
|15||Skylar Mays $850K guaranteed||1,799,163|
|Full MLE (Must be below Apron)||12,405,000|
|BAE (Must be below Apron)||4,516,000|
|TPE (Lillard trade)||8,778,377|
|TPE (Payton trade)||8,300,000|
|TPE (Hart trade)||2,626,019|
|Minimum 2 yr+ Veteran||2,019,706|
|Subtotal w/Dead Money||161,774,594|
|Over Tax Level||(3,519,406)|
|Above 1st Apron||(10,571,406)|
|Total with Tax||161,774,594|