In order for the Blazers to pull off the unthinkable dream trade, 4 conditions really need to be met as a baseline:
- Any trade must appease Damian Lillard as well as the pundits. It has to look like a good trade on paper and one that makes the Blazers a more obvious contender now.
- Any trade must bring back a similar quantity of players (roster at 14 now, needs to be 13 players min)
- Any trade should look to shed at least $3M in total outgoing salary (for luxury/repeater tax avoidance)
- Any trade should look to shed as many expiring contracts as possible (we’re not in a great spot to give more than one expiring player a raise next summer between Nurk, Ant, and RoCo. Therefore any trade should look to package 2/3 of those guys expiring contracts.
- Blazers receive: Karl Anthony Towns, Jerami Grant (sheds $4.2M)
- Minnesota Receives: CJ McCollum, Josef Nurkic
- Detroit Receives: Robert Covington, Josh Okogie, Jake Layman
Obviously this trade includes 2 other parties so here’s to hoping that the Wolves slide continues and KAT keeps sneak tweeting his way outta there (in which case Nurk + CJ is a pretty solid return). As for Detroit, Grant makes $20M/year with 2 years left and they essentially trade him for 3 expiring forwards, opening up an extra $20M this summer from which they likely keep Okogie for cheaper and continue to build for the future around Cade Cunningham.