Scrimmage play will begin on Wednesday in Orlando for teams participating in the NBA’s Disney World bubble. Let’s take a look at recent news from around the league:
- Memphis Grizzlies guard/forward Justise Winslow suffered a hip injury in practice and will be forced to miss the season restart, he announced Tuesday. The Grizzlies are the current eighth seed, leading the ninth-seeded Portland Trail Blazers by 3.5 games heading into bubble play.
- The NBA has released an updated league calendar, with the NBA Lottery now set to take place on Aug. 20, instead of the original date of Aug. 25, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania. The NBA Draft remains scheduled for Oct. 16.
- The NBA has debuted its new court with “Black Lives Matter” featured along the scorers table, as captured by Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix:
At center court, along the scorers table. More at IG: sichrismannix pic.twitter.com/Mc3c82qpV9— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) July 21, 2020
- Former Blazers guard Wade Baldwin IV has signed with Bayern Munich Basketball in Germany, according to Yahoo Sports’ Keith Smith. Baldwin appeared in 23 games for Portland during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.
- “Timeout chairs” will be utilized in Orlando, but they’re not for players throwing tantrums:
Sources: The NBA has informed teams that they are installing “Timeout Chairs” during games:— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) July 22, 2020
- Movable chairs to court so players and coaches can huddle, but players must stand/sit around chairs apart from bench
- Chairs cleaned by team staff at end of each timeout
The NBA’s first scrimmages will tip off on Wednesday starting at 12 p.m. PT.