SB Nation’s theme for this week is sports what-ifs. The Portland Trail Blazers are a team with several intriguing scenarios that could’ve changed the outlook of the franchise if different outcomes were reached. One stroke of good luck could’ve doubled, even tripled the team’s titles. So, we want to know, what is the Blazers’ biggest “What If?” Here are some ideas to get you thinking:
- What if... Bill Walton didn’t get hurt in 1978 and never requested a trade?
- What if... the Blazers drafted Michael Jordan over Sam Bowie in the 1983 NBA Draft?
- What if... Arvydas Sabonis joined the Blazers after the 1986 draft, rather than coming over in 1995 at age 30?
- What if... Greg Oden and Brandon Roy stayed healthy, forming a legit Big Three with LaMarcus Aldridge?
- What if... the Blazers selected Giannis Antetokounmpo in the 2013 draft to pair with Damian Lillard?
- What if... Wes Matthews never tore his Achilles in 2015, right before the playoffs?
- What if... Jusuf Nurkic was completely healthy heading into the 2019 postseason?
That only covers some of the Blazers’ what-ifs. Have one we didn’t discuss? Feel free to share it in the comments!