clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Blazers’ Lillard Takes Part in Star-Led Call to Restart NBA Season

According to Yahoo Sports NBA insider Chris Haynes, Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard took part in a star-studded call that discussed the potential restart of the 2019-20 NBA sesaon.

NBA: New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers Steve Dykes-USA TODAY Sports

Trail Blazers frontman Damian Lillard joined a conference call featuring a handful of fellow NBA stars to discuss the potential restart of the 2019-20 season. According to the report from Yahoo Sports NBA insider Chris Haynes, the call ended with a consensus goal of working toward resuming on-court action.

Chris Paul, the president of the players association, arranged the call that included LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard and Russell Westbrook, sources said.

[...]

Toward the end of the call discussing the ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic, all parties were in agreement to take the court with proper safety measures once the league is given the green light to commence, sources said.

At this point, standardized testing and a centralized location for games have surfaced as the leading safety measures. Due to the uncharted territory the league is in, it is unclear how effective those precautions will be once utilized. A threshold for positive tests among players must be decided upon and the logistics for keeping multiple organizations in bubble must be carefully fleshed out.

The Paul-led call occurred after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver outlined the cumbersome road ahead with players last week. Despite the consensus that was built with star players on the call, Haynes highlighted that the viewpoint held by a handful of max-contract players is not unanimous with all members of the NBPA (National Basketball Players Association).

In a conference call with players on Friday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver stated that he couldn’t guarantee the safety of the players if play resumed in a city where they would be quarantined, but assured them the league would do everything in its power to make the safest conditions possible, sources said.

That didn’t sit well with some players, sources said, with a vaccine not expected to be available for a year or two.

The majority of players who are essentially eliminated from postseason contention would rather the league start back up with the top eight teams in each conference competing in some sort of playoff, sources said.

You can read the full story from Haynes at Yahoo Sports.