Over 4000 postseason games have been played in NBA history. Exactly two of them (0.0498 percent) went to quadruple overtime. As Blazers fans, we were lucky enough to see one of those quadruple overtime epics last May.
The Blazers’ third game in their 2019 playoff series against the Nuggets was, almost by definition, a thrilling contest. After multiple twists of fate, Rodney Hood capped it with what should go down as one of the greatest shots in franchise history:
Hood’s heroics gave the Blazers a 2-1 series lead and they’d eventually go on to win the series in 7 games, despite losing game 4.
Every multiple overtime playoff game in NBA history
In the interest of historical reference, and in light of the franchise’s 50th anniversary season, I’ve compiled all 41 multiple overtime playoff game in NBA history here:
- The Blazers are 3-1 in multi-OT playoff games.
- The Blazers are undefeated, 4-0, in series with multi-OT games.
- The double overtime game against the Suns in 1992 is still the highest scoring game in playoff history, 153-151.
- The Blazers are 1-3 in games following a multiple overtime — the only win coming in 1992 against the Suns.
- There have been two quadruple overtime games, six triple overtime games, and 33 double overtime games in NBA playoff history.
- Sixteen of the 41 multi-OT games have happened since 2002.
- Teams that win a multiple overtime game go on to win the series in 31 of 41 cases.
- Despite winning the majority of series, teams what won a multi-OT game only came out on top in the subsequent game in 16 of 40 series.
- Ten series have ended with a multi-OT game, including the Celtics winning the 1957 finals in double overtime.
- One series has multiple multiple overtime games (Bulls vs. Celtics in 2009) and one team has played back-to-back multiple overtime games (1957 Hawks).
- The Celtics have played in 15 multi-OT playoff games, by far the most of any team.
- Weirdly, the Lakers have played in only one.
- After the Celtics’ seven wins, the Bulls have the second most wins with four and are tied for the Suns for the second most appearances (six).
(All records from Basketball Reference. Here’s a link to the search to find the multiple overtime playoff games.)