Welcome to the 2020 NBA Draft open thread, where you can discuss all the picks, possibilities, and trades with fellow Blazer’s Edge Readers.
This year we have a special opportunity for you all. If you’d like to watch and discuss the draft LIVE with streaming video commentary, you can find our live Blazer’s Edge Draft Show hosted by Dan Marang right through this link. Dan and other Blazer’s Edge staffers will discuss the Robert Covington trade, draft picks, and more. Choose that thread, this one, or keep them both open for maximum fun!
We’ll update picks and trades as they happen, heading all the way to Portland picking 46th, where they will no doubt select the next Jerome Kersey or Cliff Robinson!
Welcome to the show!
Highlight Trade of the Night: Houston sends Trevor Ariza, Portland’s 2020 pick to Detroit for a future first-round pick.
Houston is trading Trevor Ariza and the No. 16 pick tonight to Detroit for a future first-round pick, sources tell ESPN. The deal gives the Rockets - a hard-capped team -- the freedom to use their mid-level exception in free agency.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 18, 2020
See other trades below the draft order.
2020 NBA Draft Order
- Minnesota Timberwolves —Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia
- Golden State Warriors —James Wiseman, C, Memphis
- Charlotte Hornets —Lamelo Ball, PG
- Chicago Bulls —Patrick Williams, F, Florida State
- Cleveland Cavaliers —Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn
- Atlanta Hawks—Oneyka Okongwu, PF, USC
- Detroit Pistons—Killian Hayes, PG, France
- New York Knicks—Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton
- Washington Wizards—Deni Avdija, SF
- Phoenix Suns—Jalen Smith, PF, Maryland
- San Antonio Spurs—Devin Vassal, SF, Florida St
- Sacramento Kings—Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa St
- New Orleans Pelicans—Kira Lewis Jr., PG, Alabama
- Boston Celtics (via MEM)—Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt
- Orlando Magic—Cole Anthony, PG, North Carolina
- Houston Rockets (via POR)—Isaiah Stewart, C, Washington
- Minnesota Timberwolves (via BKN)— Aleksej Pokusevski, PF
- Dallas Mavericks—Josh Green, SG, Arizona
- Brooklyn Nets (via PHI)—Saddiq Bey, SF, Villanova
- Miami Heat—Precious Achiuwa, PF, Memphis
- Philadelphia 76ers (via OKC)—Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky
- Denver Nuggets (via HOU)—Zeke Nnaji, C, Arizona
- New York Knicks (via UTAH)—Leandro Bolmaro, SG
- New Orleans Pelicans (via IND)—RJ Hampton, SG
- Oklahoma City Thunder (via DEN)—Immanuel Quickley, PG, Kentucky
- Boston Celtics—Payton Pritchard, PG, Oregon
- Utah Jazz (via LAC)—Udoka Azubuike, C, Kansas
- Oklahoma City Thunder (via LAL)—Jaden McDaniels, SF Washington
- Toronto Raptors—Malachi Flynn, PG, San Diego St
- Boston Celtics (via MIL)—Desmond Bane, SG, TCU
- Dallas Mavericks (via GSW)—Tyrell Terry, PG, Stanford
- Charlotte Hornets (via CLE)—Vernon Carey Jr., C, Duke
- Minnesota Timberwolves—Daniel Oturu, C, Minnesota
- Oklahoma City Thunder (via ATL)—Theo Maledon, PG
- Sacramento Kings (via DET)—Xavier Tillman Sr., C, Michigan St
- Philadelphia 76ers (via NYK)—Tyler Bey, PF, Colorado
- Washington Wizards (via CHI)—Vit Krejci, PG
- Utah Jazz (via CHA)—Saben Lee, PG, Vanderbilt
- New Orleans Pelicans (via WAS)—Elijah Hughes, SG, Syracuse
- Memphis Grizzlies (via PHX)—Robert Woodard II, SG, Mississippi St
- San Antonio Spurs—Tre Jones, PG, Duke
- New Orleans Pelicans—Nick Richards, C, Kentucky
- Sacramento Kings—Jahmi’us Ramsey, PG, Texas Tech
- Chicago Bulls (via MEM)—Marko Simonovic, F, Serbia
- Milwaukee Bucks (via ORL)—Jordan Nwora, F, Lousiville
- Portland Trail Blazers—CJ Elleby, SG, Washington St
- Boston Celtics (via BKN)—Yam Madar, PG, Israel
- Golden State Warriors (via DAL)—Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
- Philadelphia 76ers—Isaiah Joe, SG, Arkansas
- Atlanta Hawks (via MIA)—Skylar Mays, SG, LSU
- Golden State Warriors (via UTA)—Justinian Jessup, SG, Boise St
- Sacramento Kings (via HOU)—KJ Martin, SF
- Oklahoma City Thunder—Cassius Winston, PG, Michigan St
- Indiana Pacers—Cassius Stanley, SG, Duke
- Brooklyn Nets (via Denver Nuggets)—Jay Scrubb, SG
- Charlotte Hornets (via BOS)—Grant Riller, PG, Charleston
- LA Clippers—Reggie Perry, C, Mississippi St
- Philadelphia 76ers (via LAL)—Paul Reed, PF, DePaul
- Toronto Raptors—Jalen Harris, SG, Nevada
- Milwaukee Bucks—Sam Merrill, SG, Utah St
You can find trades prior to the draft in this post. We’ll update trades announced during the draft here.
The Magic and Bucks swap second-rounders
Breaking, per an NBA source: The Magic have agreed to trade their second-round pick (45th overall) in tonight’s draft to the Milwaukee Bucks for two future second-round picks.— Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) November 18, 2020
Houston buys a pick for later.
The Rockets are purchasing Detroit's 2021 second-round pick -- via the Lakers -- for $4.6M, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 18, 2020
Bogdan Bogdanovic is NOT going to Milwaukee and will instead enter free agency.
Sacramento Kings forward Bogdan Bogdanovic plans to enter restricted free agency on Friday at 6 PM ET, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
There’s no place like home, apparently. The Minnesota Timberwolves are trading for Ricky Rubio, along with a couple picks.
Minnesota is acquiring Oklahoma City's Ricky Rubio, the 25th and 28th picks for a package that includes the No. 17 pick, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
Landry Shamet is part of a mid-round grab.
Sources: The Clippers are sending No. 19 pick via Brooklyn to the Pistons and receiving Luke Kennard. Nets received Landry Shamet.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
This is a three-way deal that includes the Pistons, with Luke Kennard heading to the Clippers, sources tell ESPN. https://t.co/Nmt9zcRIUE— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
Rodney McGruder is leaving the Clippers for the Pistons as part of the three-team deal with the Nets, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
The Knicks and Timberwolves do a little pick-swapping at the end of the first round.
Sources: New York is trading No. 23 Leandro Bolmaro to Minnesota for Nos. 25 and 33.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
The Nuggets are picking up a late-round prospect.
Future pick going to New Orleans, sources said. https://t.co/1spqgBVsP8— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
Source: Denver traded a lottery protected future first round pick to the New Orleans Pelicans for the rights to RJ Hampton.— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) November 19, 2020
This pick will be lottery-protected in 2023, source says. https://t.co/xfr0kyPO2i— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) November 19, 2020
The Knicks get Quicklier.
Sources: OKC is selecting Immanuel Quickley with the No. 25 pick in the NBA Draft -- going to Knicks.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
In a draft of a thousand paper cuts instead of a big sledgehammer deal, the Jazz move a low pick.
The Utah Jazz have agreed to trade C Tony Bradley and the 38th pick to the Detroit Pistons for future considerations, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
The Grizzlies pick up a Batman villain.
Sources: Memphis via Boston is selecting Desmond Bane at No. 30 in NBA Draft.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
The Mavericks pick up a swingman for a former Blazers guard.
Sources: Dallas is sending Seth Curry in trade to 76ers. https://t.co/zPq0DqBkKQ— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
And the Clippers pick up a second-rounder.
The Knicks are targeting Daniel Oturu at No. 33, source tells ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
This pick will be traded to the LA Clippers, sources said, in exchange for a 2023 second rounder— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) November 19, 2020
The Thunder work some magic with the Wizards.
Sources: OKC acquiring Vit Krejci from Wizards at No. 37.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
The Pelicans play some Jazz.
Hughes is headed to the Jazz, per source. https://t.co/NFeCnVI23C— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 19, 2020
We don’t even know anymore.
Sources: OKC is selecting Cassius Winston at No. 53 and trading him to Washington.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020
The Clippers get Scrubb.
Sources: Brooklyn takes Reggie Perry at No. 57 in NBA draft. Jay Scrubb to Clippers.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) November 19, 2020