The NBA Rumor Mill is churning with the NBA Draft next week and NBA Free Agency starting on Nov. 20. Let’s check in on the latest around the league:
- Houston Rockets stars James Harden and Russell Westbrook have “expressed concern” about the team’s future following several key personnel changes this offseason, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Tim MacMahon. Per ESPN’s report, it’s a “plausible eventual possibility” that either former MVP could request a trade:
Although neither player has requested a trade at this point, that scenario has become a plausible eventual possibility.
- The Phoenix Suns are discussing a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder for Chris Paul, per ESPN’s Tim Bontemps and Brian Windhorst, although no deal is set yet:
Talks have been ongoing and have continued to gather traction, but there is no deal imminent, sources said. There is currently a moratorium on trades as the NBA goes through procedures to start next season ahead of the league’s draft next week.
- The Atlanta Hawks could be a potential suitor for New Orleans Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday, according to Marc Stein of The New York Times. Atlanta has the No. 6 pick in next week’s draft and could use it as trade bait:
The Hawks have emerged as a potential trade destination for New Orleans' Jrue Holiday in multi-team trade scenarios that would involve Atlanta's No. 6 pick in next week's draft, league sources say— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) November 11, 2020
Any team trading for Holiday, of course, has to be cognizant of his contractual situation, with the Pelicans' guard -- regarded as one of the league's foremost two-way players -- expected to decline his $27 million option for 2021-22 and become a free agent after this season— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) November 11, 2020
- According to The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor, Atlanta could also use its No. 6 pick to make a non-Holiday deal. The Minnesota Timberwolves have had talks with the Hawks, but the Pelicans and Boston Celtics are also interested:
Sources: The Timberwolves are attempting to acquire a second lottery pick. They’ve had talks with the Hawks for #6. A possible deal could include Jarrett Culver and #17.— Kevin O'Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA) November 11, 2020
A number of teams are interested in Atlanta’s #6 pick—the Pelicans and Celtics being among them, sources say.
Who would teams be moving up for? Sources say FSU wing Patrick Williams is a main target. The Wolves are high on Iowa State guard Tyrese Haliburton.— Kevin O'Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA) November 11, 2020
Williams scouting report: https://t.co/NtQipFKwKj
Haliburton scouting report: https://t.co/cfSfAvNdjl
Draft night will get wild.
- Also according to O’Connor, the Orlando Magic are “having conversations with teams about trading” forward Aaron Gordon.
The NBA Draft is set for Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 4 p.m. PT on ESPN.