The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat take the court today for Game 5 of the 2020 NBA Finals. The Lakers are up 3-1, looking to close out Miami. One team has returned from a 3-1 Finals deficit before: the 2016 Cleveland Cavaliers. They had LeBron James playing for, not against, them. Jimmy Butler, Bam Adebayo, and company might not have quite the same firepower.
You can discuss the game here, also two other topics:
- It seems pretty clear that, when all is said and done, the Lakers really are the best team in the league this year. Do you begrudge James and Tinseltown their title anyway? Can you respect the dominant team prevailing or would you still prefer anybody but the Lakers.
- The final win of the series—whether it comes tonight or in a few days—will mark the end of the 2019-20 NBA season, which started nearly a year ago...October 22nd, to be exact. Usually the finish of a season brings a tinge of sadness. How are you reacting to the end of this one? Will you still wish NBA basketball was on tap in the weeks after or do the extended year (and the difficult circumstances accompanying) bring a sigh of relief?
Share thoughts below and have fun!
Tip-off: 6:00 p.m. (PST)
The new usual rules apply:
- No swearing.
- No pictures/videos
- No discussions of streaming besides all the legit ones.
- Be cool to not only each other, but also somewhat respectful toward the people on TV. It’s totally appropriate to vent frustration, of course.
- Occasional complaints about bad calls are totally fine. Constant, repeated complaints about the refs (including in ALL CAPS) are not.