Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard took the podium on Media Day 2019 to discuss the team’s big-picture goals, Jusuf Nurkic’s recovery, and more.
- After a Western Conference Finals appearance, Lillard said: “Our focus is to win a championship, our mentality has to shift to that.”
- Lillard raved about Whiteside’s ability as a “natural” shot-blocker and “game-changer” on defense.
- Lillard thinks that the team will play at a faster pace, pointing out Portland’s bolstered wing depth as a big reason why.
- With added playmaking on the wings, Lillard says he’s played more off-ball in the team’s initial workouts and has been able to focus on hitting shots instead of creating.
- Lillard said he’s seen how serious Jusuf Nurkic is taking his recovery, and he’s been impressed with the center’s work ethic. The two also enjoyed a summer vacation in Mexico together.
- On playing in Portland, Lillard said: “I think when people look at Portland, they don’t see it as the most attractive place. And a lot of the positives about being here, you can’t see unless you come be a part of it.”