Portland Trail Blazers head coach Terry Stotts appeared on Adrian Wojnarowski's "The Vertical" podcast , and gave what is sure to be his most in-depth interview in existence. If you aren't familiar with "Woj," beyond breaking news with #WojBombs, he also has this new stand alone at Yahoo Sports, "The Vertical." Aside from their features and news, they are focused on creating truly unique podcasts. This is from their site:
Adrian Wojnarowski, the most dominant force in NBA reporting, brings you inside the league with, the "Vertical Podcast." Woj is probing the biggest newsmakers in the sport - from the commissioner, to general managers, coaches and star players - to bring listeners inside the processes, personas and stories that impact the NBA. Beyond longer sit-down interviews in our New York studios, Woj will deliver real-time podcasts with league personnel built around breaking news.
Streaming and download links to the audio can be found in the tweet below:
Time Stamps & Topics
- 3:04 - Does this group have a chip on their shoulders?
- 4:39 - Does this team remind you of your first year in Portland?
- 5:53 - Walking two lines, LaMarcus Aldridge's free agency
- 7:55 - Title contention a scenario if Wesley Matthews isn't hurt?
- 8:45 - What was the first thing you did with Aldridge when you got here?
- 10:30 - Hallmark of you tenure- player development?
- 13:00 - Early life in the CBA
- 14:00 - CBA as a learning ground for coaches
- 15:20 - Could you learn about yourself as a coach in the CBA?
- 19:01 - Flip Saunders' passing and coaching fraternity
- 21:30 - Too nice to win?
- 24:30 - Getting the next (3rd) chance to be a head coach
- 26:20 - Did you aspire to play for Bob Knight and IU
- 27:15 - Growing up in Bloomington; now and then
- 28:47 - Winning the Big 8 at Oklahoma
- 29:29 - Playing Larry Bird in the NCAA Tournament
- 32:34 - Leaving Oklahoma and a basketball career
- 33:55 - Getting drafted in the 2nd round by the Rockets
- 35:40 - Not going to camp with the Rockets, and playing in Europe
- 36:21 - Working with George Karl in Seattle and comparing eras
- 39:28 - Damian Lillard and comparing him to Stephen Curry
- 40:40 - Analytics, video, and data boom for NBA teams
- 42:31 - Preparing to play the greats: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Curry
- 44:25 - The challenge of utilizing analytics and tendencies
- 50:20 - Coaching and the caveats of analytics
- 52:48 - Managing the human element and team dynamics
- 54:23 - The relationship between Stotts and the front office
- 56:19 - Closing comments