Jo and Tara reflect on the first half of the season and how it has or has not met fan expectations. We consider what other franchises are going through now, like Sacramento and Brooklyn. Then we talk trade talk--is it useful to speculate? How do we know what rumors to believe? Finally we look at a key date that is coming up: Dec. 15, when many newly-signed free agents become available, and even more will be on the market on Jan. 15. The player’s union and the NBA can also opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement in mid-December, so we talk about some of the topics being discussed by the two sides.
Click Play Below to Listen
You can download the mp3 directly here.
5:36 Obligatory E.T.M. (Evan Turner Moment).
12:00 Why are the Trail Blazers fouling so much? Is it possible there is any silver lining to their fouling?
25:35 “Could be worse” segment. The Blazer’s may be struggling in the Win/Loss column, but other fanbases have bigger issues, i.e. Sacramento Kings, Philadelphia 76ers, Brooklyn Nets.
33:05 We try to start a trade rumor leading up the Dec. 15
44:00 CBA deadline approaching
Sources and resources
- The Trail Blazers commit too many fouls: The good, the bad and the nerdy, Mike Richman The Oregonian/OregonLive
- Why Do the Trail Blazers Foul So Much? Dave Deckard, Blazer’s Edge
- Foul details via nbaminer.com
“Could be worse”
- DeMarcus Cousins and Matt Barnes are being sued over their involvement in December 5th nightclub ‘brawl’, Tony Xypteras, Sactown Royalty
- I’m a Kings season ticket holder. I’m mad as hell. And I don’t want to take it anymore, Marcos Breton (Tara mistakenly called this column a “letter to the editor”. I blame the weather.)
Free agents soon to be available for trade (December 15 and January 15)
- 130 players who signed new contracts in the off season become eligible for trade.
- Players who re-signed with their own team can’t be traded until January 15
- Helpful roundup: Basketball Insiders: Getting ready for trade season
December 15 CBA deadline
- What we know about the new NBA CBA, Daniel Werly, The White Bronco
Blazer’s Edge Night
Help 2000+ such kids watch the Blazers play the Philadelphia 76ers on March 9th! It’s guaranteed to bring as much joy as whatever you’re going to ask Santa to bring you. Here’s how to contribute.