With a trade during the the second round of the 2015 NBA Draft, the Portland Trail Blazers sent Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Steve Blake to the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for Mason Plumlee and Pat Connaughton. Here is a player profile for Connaughton.
1) Terrific athlete. Measured off the charts in multiple areas at the draft combine, including vertical jump and lane agility drills. He was a fourth-round pick of the Baltimore Orioles as a pitcher, and had the front end speed to be an Olympic athlete as well.
2) Lights out shooter. Hit 42% of his threes last year in a competitive conference. One of the best distance shooters in the draft, combining a quick release with solid form.
3) Smart player. Understands the offense and has good court vision. Was a visible leader of the Fighting Irish as a senior last season.
1) Sub-par defender. Allows players to get past him far too often. Does not have the size to guard small forwards, nor the lateral quickness to defend most guards.
2) Not good 1-on-1. Does not have the moves to shake defenders, and has poor ball control.