JB: Hey man, do you remember draft night?
DJ: when we made Blazers Edge melt down? How could I forget.
Mo' credit to the Lakers for tonight's 88-74 home victory against the Bobcats. Just go right down the list of best case scenarios for the Blazers facing a team on the second half of a back to back and they all happened last night: a double overtime win (super tired and willing to settle for a split of the back-to-back), a late plane arrival, and a key injury (best wishes to Gerald Wallace... sad to not get to see him tonight). This win was all set up for Portland before tip off.
It took awhile for the Blazers to realize, as Brandon Roy put it, that Charlotte "was tired from the jump." Cue Bayless entry at the six minute mark with the Blazers trailing11-9. By the time he checked out 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter, the score was 36 to 19. By careful calculations on my abacus, I am able to determine that that was a 27 to 8 run in about 8 minutes of gametime. I am also able to conclude that that was the ball game.
The Blazers never looked back, pounding the ball inside to both Greg (14/14/3/2) and LaMarcus (25/9), who took turns dunking, hook shotting and running the break. Add to the mix a sick touch pass from Rudy, a flying fast break denying block by Batum and an acrobatic buzzer-beating layup from Rex and it was about as exciting for the home crowd as 88-74 games get. That didn't stop hundreds from leaving the RG early. Haven't seen much of that this year.
The Blazers are chilling on a 3 game win streak with no practice tomorrow and 2 days before Utah. Nobody in the Blazers locker room, nobody, is complaining about that.
Random Game Notes:
- By my count, the Blazers are now 11-3 when Greg goes for a double-double. Two of those 3 losses are arguably 2 of the worst losses this season too (Warriors and Clippers).
- Tonight's warmup music was selected by Travis Outlaw... "All My Life" by J Roc and Lil Wayne.
- Great line from Brandon postgame regarding the All Star voting, which gets announced tomorrow night. "Somebody really had to be focusing on Bruce Bowen." hahahaha true that, Brandon, true that.
- B Roy also said he never really expected to be that high on the all star voting this year. He put Kobe Bryant as his starting 2 guard on the Western Conference team. He didn't say anyone else should be there at the 2 other than Kobe. He said "I haven't given it too much thought this year" compared to last year.
- Here's some breaking news for you: tomorrow night, Brandon Roy will be announced as an All Star.
- When Sergio checked back into the game in the second quarter, a (drunk?) fan could be heard yelling "LEAVE BAYLESS IN!"
- Brandon was doing his whole persecuted-by-the-officials act out there today. He ended up at the line only once so I'm not sure how much his yacking helped.
- Speaking of the officials: Rudy got called for traveling and a carry on back-to-back possessions. You don't see that very often.
- Sean Singletary is not an NBA player. Not trying to be mean. Just saying.
- There was a Shavlik sighting. I think he got a haircut recently.
- On the big screen, they asked the players which super power they would have if they had their choice. Just about everyone said the ability to fly, although Brandon said he wanted to be invisible and Channing said he wanted to have the "super power to have all other super powers." Bayless said he wanted "super strength." Of course he did.
- Best sign of the night: "I Crave Attention." That was it. Awesome.
- I heard a rumor some of you guys like Ione.
- I also heard a rumor she's not the only Blazer Dancer on that site.
- I also heard a rumor that no one should mention John Salmons. Ever. Again.
- So I was a running a little late for pregame today and got stuck in traffic, where I drank way too much Red Bull. So a ball rolls over to where I'm sitting during shootaround and Alexis Ajinca comes over to retrieve is. Ajinca is a tall dude with very long legs, so bending over to pick up a ball for him is more difficult than complex yoga is for us normal-heighted people. So I reached down from my sitting position and cupped the basketball with one hand, trying to soft toss it up to him. That's when the Red Bull kicked in. Rather than peaking around his waist for the easy catch, the ball took off, ending up near his head at way too fast a rate, causing him to startle backwards to avoid getting Cheikh Samb'd. My bad, man, my bad.
Sadly, this was all we saw from DJ Augustin tonight. I was impressed.
By popular demand: the Air Gollys.
-- Ben (firstname.lastname@example.org)