[This thread is for ongoing rumors during NBA Free Agency. Head to the following pages for specific ongoing Blazer news: Blazers acquire Thomas Robinson | Warriors offered Lee for LaMarcus | Blazers monitor Omer Asik | Tiago Splitter Will Re-Sign with Spurs]
Welcome to the start of the free agency discussion period! Hang out here and discuss all rumors, Blazers or otherwise. We'll post all the juicy gossip and major news right here in this post. Please keep discussion here, instead of creating new Fanposts or Fanshots. Thanks!
For this week, teams can officially start talking to players, but nothing can be signed! Verbal agreements are often quickly reached though, and are typically leaked through reporters. Teams cannot officially sign players until July 10th. At the bottom of this post is a list of the most-discussed free agents.
- The Bucks, Clippers and Suns have completed a trade where Eric Bledsoe heads to Phoenix and JJ Redick joins the Clippers. Woj has the details.
- In an interview with Sports 790 (summarized here), Rockets GM Daryl Morey stated he did not plan to move Omer Asik, even if they sign Dwight Howard:
Daryl: Dwight is excited to play with Omer and Jeremy. He’s seen the rumors. Dwight likes that the ROX are team China and likes that Jeremy attacks as a guard. He likes Omer. Their names have been out there in rumors. Rumor that Omer would be available is not true. Originally they were trying to create room people called IN about Jeremy and Omer. Not looking to move either.
Host: So if you could sign Dwight and keep the lineup in tact you’d want to do that? Keep Omer in starting lineup with Dwight?
Daryl: No. They wouldn’t play together, maybe sometimes in experiments. We feel with both playing (Omer as backup) they have top 10 defense on floor at all times.
Host: Omer would be a HUGE luxury though?
Daryl: Yeah, people say that but we don’t look at it that way. What Omer would bring in his minutes is bigger than what another player would bring that we would trade him for. An upgrade at the 4 wouldn’t bring as much to the team as Omer in 15-20 minutes.
- Chris Haynes reports that the Blazers have reached out to Samuel Dalembert.
- Steve Kyler of HoopsWorld claims that the Blazers are about to make a "massive" offer to RFA Timberwolves C Nikola Pekovic. Since I don't know Kyler by name, I'm not convinced, but it's worth noting.
- Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida reports that Andre Miller may be available in trade. He was close to former Nuggets Head Coach George Karl, and doesn't fit the team.
- Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports on Twitter: "To clear salary for Tyreke Evans or sign-and-trade w/ Kings, Pelicans expected to try and unload Robin Lopez"
- Jason Quick of The Oregonian reports on Twitter: "The Blazers will talk with agent Aaron Goodwin later today or Tuesday about free agents Matt Barnes and Francisco Garcia."
- Chris Haynes at Comcast Sportsnet reports that the Blazers have contacted SG Tony Allen.
- Chris Haynes at Comcast Sportsnet reports that the Blazers are not pursuing Andrew Bynum. (Whew)
- Haynes also reports that UFA Carl Landry has interest in the Blazers.
- Sam Amick says the Blazers have interest in UFA OJ Mayo.
- Shams Charania at RealGM reports that the Suns want to keep Marcin Gortat to mentor rookie Alex Len.
- Tim Leighton at Pioneer Press reports that Minnesota Timberwolves GM Flip Saunders plans to retain RFA Center Nikola Pekovic.
OTHER NBA NEWS
- Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports reports that the Raptors are trading Andrea Bargnani to the Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, the Knicks' 2016 first-round pick and two second round picks. Congrats Toronto!
Hoopshype Rumors NBA Media on Twitter Adrian Wojnarowski Sam Amick Marc Stein Chris Haynes Joe Freeman Chris Broussard
The Blazers had one restricted free agent: PG Eric Maynor. Neil Olshey stated he would not give Maynor a Qualifying Offer, so he will be unrestricted. (See Ben's transcript)
The Blazers have four unrestricted free agents: PF/C JJ Hickson, SF Luke Babbitt, PG Nolan Smith and SG Elliot Williams.
Sometimes the free agent season starts slowly, with no news all night. Sometimes it starts with a bang and never slows down. We'll know more in the next 24 hours! Enjoy the anticipation with your fellow Blazer fans. -- Tim
PS -- Please remember we're all on the same side! Even if things don't go down as you'd prefer, please try to be classy, civil and respectful to other Blazer's Edge users. Even if you're proven right, remember the rule in sports: The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner.
Unrestricted Free Agents
Ivan Johnson (Atlanta declined his Qualifying Offer today)
Restricted Free Agents (and Team)
Timofey Mozgov (DEN)
Chase Budinger (MIN)
Nikola Pekovic (MIN)
Tyreke Evans (SAC)
Tiago Splitter (SAS) -- He was given the Qualifying Offer today.