After being thoroughly annoyed by the Rising Stars Challenge, I went through the broadcasts of All-Star Weekend today and calculated the efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) of the seven "defenses" from the main events. Here's a quick breakdown:
7. The rim (3-Point Contest): 176.4 DEF EFF
6. Team Shaq: 161.1 DEF EFF
5. Team Chuck: 130.1 DEF EFF
4. East All-stars: 117.2 DEF EFF
3. West All-Stars: 115.6 DEF EFF;
2. Skills Obstacles & Rim: 95.8 DEF EFF
1. The rim (Dunk Contest): 60.9 DEF EFF
For comparison, Indiana gives up the least this season, 95.9, and Sacramento gives up the most, 108.5 per 100 possessions. I don't mind the weak defense of the All-Star game (it's boring, but still in line with a bad NBA-caliber defensive night), but the Rising Stars Challenge is brutal. They should give the MVP a limited edition signature shoe or something to entice them to play even mediocre ball.
I wrote a short article about it, but those numbers are basically all you need to know to have a bit of a chuckle.