This Blazer Salary Cap Update now includes the trade of Thomas and the sign and trade of Felton for Jared Jeffries and two 2nd round Euro draft picks. The Blazers have also received Batum's signed offer sheet but have not matched yet.
1. The Blazers have signed Victor Claver to play here next season. His reported salary is $4M total for 3 years. We don't have the year to year breakdown of his salary yet, so I will just assume an even spread of $1,333,333 per year for this analysis until we get another number.
2. In a real surprise, the Blazers re-signed J.J. Hickson after not making him a Qualifying Offer earlier. He signed a 1 year deal for a reported $4M. (This will allow us to keep his Bird Rights next summer.)
3. Joel Freeland was signed (July 13) for a reported $9M over 3-years. I will assume it is evenly distributed at $3M per year.
4. The law firm of Lillard and Leonard has been signed to a contract. I will assume they received 120% of the rookie salary scale, which is customary in the NBA these days. (Their cap holds before signing in earlier analysis were set at 100% per NBA rules, but they now count per their actual salaries).
5. Will Barton signed his contract (July 14), but terms are not known yet. 2nd round picks are typically signed for the league minimum, so that is assumed in the salary table.
6. Shawne Williams was finally waived. We do not know if the Blazers and Williams settled on a buy-out number less than the $3.135M he was owed for next year. So I will use that maximum $3.135M in this analysis until we hear differently.
The Blazers have the option of spreading the salary cap hit from waiving Williams over 1 year or 3 years. If they want to maximize their remaining salary cap room this year, then they will spread the cap hit. If they want the maximum cap room next year and the following year, then they will take the entire hit this year. I will show both numbers in the table.
New since the last update:
7. The Blazers traded Kurt Thomas and signed and traded Felton for Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric, and the draft rights to Georgios Printezis and Lostas Papanikolaou. The latter two players are 2nd round draft picks and therefore do not count against team salary. Gadzuric is also being waived and does not count against team salary because his contract was non-guaranteed. Therefore, Jeffries salary replaces Thomas salary against our salary cap room.
Until we know differently I am using Jeffries salary as $1.35M, which Storyteller explains in a comment that I copied and posted in the comments below (I had previously used $1.6M as I also explained in a comment below).
8. The Blazers have received a signed Batum offer sheet. They have until 9 pm PDT Wednesday July 18 to retain Batum by matching that offer sheet, or let him go to Minnesota. The offer sheet is assumed to have a $10.9M first year salary.
The Blazers are still carrying a $5.4M cap hold in their team salary, which gives them the right to match the offer sheet. The also have Bird Rights to go over the cap to match if necessary.
About the table:
1. Teams must have 13 players on the roster. There is a minimum player charge to cap space of $474K for every player less than 12 players (since signing a free agent with the cap space gets you to 13 players). We now have more than 12 players signed, so there are no roster charge slots in the table.
2. Until the Blazers match the Batum offer sheet, he only counts against cap room as a $5.4M cap hold, so they will try to finish any other free agent deals or trades before matching. They have Bird Rights for Batum so they can then go over the salary cap to match.
3. The 1st column of the table shows our current cap room if we match the Batum offer sheet AFTER we finish using our cap room on other free agents. The 2nd column shows our cap room if we match BEFORE we finish using our cap room on other free agents. Note the effect is about $5.5M ($10.9M-$5.4M) on our cap room.
All salary data of existing contracts from Storyteller's excellent contracts site. Salary data of newly signed players from various reports.
|Sign FA's||Sign Batum|
|Before Batum||Before FA's|
|Cap Room w/stretch||11,053,709||5,542,122|
|Total w/o stretch||49,080,291||54,591,878|
|Cap Room w/o stretch||8,963,709||3,452,122|
1. If the Blazers stretch the cap hit from waiving Shawne Williams to maximize their cap room this year, they currently have about $11.1M to sign other free agents before matching Batum. If they match before signing additional free agents they will have about $5.5M of cap room remaining.
2. If the Blazers do NOT stretch the cap hit from waiving Shawne Williams to maximize their cap room next year and the year beyond, they currently have about $9.0M to sign other free agents before matching. If they match before signing additional free agents they will have about $3.5M of cap room remaining.
I would remind you to please rec this post if you want to see it stick around as a reference for more than a day.