The Memphis Grizzlies didn't extend a qualifying offer to OJ Mayo, and I think we need to take advantage of it. It seems like the Grizzlies are going to let him walk. Here are the reasons why we should pick him up:
1. Aside from the fact that he has a cool name - he seems like the best available unrestricted free agent shooting guard to try to pair with LA and the new faces we're adding to the team.
2. He's roughly on the same growth curve as the core of our team.
3. He could probably be signed for a reasonable enough price - he's not going to use up all of our cap space.
4. He actually still has some star power potential left.
5. In Portland, you're not going to need Mayo to be a star. He's not going to come in thinking he has to be the saviour of a franchise. In that type of setting, I think he could actually pleasantly surprise us.
6. We have cap room that we can and should use. In looking over the free agents next summer it doesn't seem like there are many that we would a legitimate chance of signing (we don't have a chance at signing the likes of Chris Paul) that would be a better potential fit than Mayo.