Chuck was right. Granted the Thunder partially beat themselves. Jumpshooting teams with weak inside games leave too much exposed. The OG Mavs beat the Heat last year for a reason. Or several reasons for that matter. Here are a few.
1. Tyson Chandler. Defensive Player of the Year.
2. Dirk consistently shooting the lights. And getting to the foul line in the 4th quarter.
3. Jason Terry and the Grown Ass Man bench.
4. The 2nd best passing PG of all time and a short slightly above average dude who can split the minutes and tire the defense.
5. Bad ass coaching.
What relevance does this have to Portland? In terms of contention, essentially that we are headed in the right direction by making LMA the focal point of the next 3-5 years. We have a tweakable blueprint. We have the heart. We just need a crap load of luck to get the right pieces.
2. LMA. Granted he ain't no Dirk, but he can definitely work it.
I know a lot of you are going say, "well duuh!". Just saying. Not to live in the past, but we took one from the Mavs on the road, GAME 4'd their asses, and ended up with the same amount of wins as the Heat in the Finals.
Won NBA Finals (4-2) versus Miami Heat
Won NBA Western Conference Finals (4-1) versus Oklahoma City Thunder
Won NBA Western Conference Semifinals (4-0) versus Los Angeles Lakers
Won NBA Western Conference First Round (4-2) versus Portland Trail Blazers