by Dane Mangoba with sources from various sites
Dwight Howard’s Possibility
Dwight Howard wants a trade according to AOL and Slam Online. More other sources could confirm this. We all know that Dwight wants to go to a team that has a chance of contending or if not to a contender, he must go to a team where D-Will will. He is available for trade.
Deron William’s Possibility
He is a free agent and wants to go to a team that will contend. More possibly sign with a team where Dwight Howard is.
Portland can make it possible.
The Answer (Of course, the question is how?)
There are several steps to make this possible.
Trade for Dwight Howard
Portland gets: Dwight Howard
Orlando gets: Lamarcus Aldridge and Wesley Matthews plus 11th pick
Could also vary but the centerpiece is LMA.
Q:Why would Orlando agree to this trade?
- Since Dwight is expendable, they would like the best offer possible in exchange, and NO ONE in this league can give the Magic an All-star and a serviceable sixth man. NO ONE CAN OFFER THIS KIND OF TRADE.
- The Salaries Match
- They will be putting Howard in a different conference which means that they still have the chance of competing with LMA.
- The Draft pick will make this trade interesting since the draft is already months away.
- The would rather have something than nothing in exchange of Dwight Howard when the contract runs out
- This is next highest bid aside from the rumored Bynum to Howard trade before.
Q:Why would Portland do this?
- It is a risk but it is a safe one, we all know that if Dwight Howard is with us then the next step would be Deron Williams signing in Portland.
- There is no way that Deron Williams would be signing in a different team if Dwight Howard was with PDX and we have the cap space.
- Worst case scenario: D-Will signs with another team. Then we would trade again Dwight Howard for a player that would be our star will rebuilding. We can start over again next season
- This is the best chance we got.
Step 2: Draft for someone to score or someone that would help
Two options: Draft#6 with Bradley Beal or Harrison Barnes
Step 3 :
Sign Deron Williams.
Why is this Possible?
Deron would want to be in a contending team for a long time, a team that would be a regular battle for the Western Conference Finals.
- Dwight Howard 19,536,360
- Shane Williams 3,135,000
- Luke Babbit 1,892,280
- Kurt Thomas 1,352,181
- Elliot Williams 1,442,880
- Nolan Smith 1,365,720
- Plus Holds:
- Pick # 6 2,554,200
- Nicolas Batum 3,166,231
- J.J. Hickson 4,385,416
- Victor Claver 1,045,600
- Joel Freeland 850,800
Portland's Total Contract holds : est. $36 Million
Total Estimated Cap Space: $58.044 million - $36 million = $ 22 million
( A bigger cap space for us because we traded away the #11th pick which is approx $2M and dwight howard trade because of the exemptions )
Portland Plus Deron Williams ( est. $ 18 million) would put is at approx. $ 54 million still under the cap by around $ 4 million.
Step 4: $ 4 million Cap Space Sign role players and resign J.J. Hickson and Nicolas Batum
*If Nicolas Batum signs with another team, we could use the cap space at about 3 million to add with the current 4 million to sign a player for the SF postition
Portland Line-up for the upcoming season:
- PG: Deron William, Nolan Smith
- SG: Bradley Beal( wishfully), Elliot Williams
- SF: Nicolas Batum(or other player), Shawne Williams, Luke Babbit
- PF: J.J. Hickson, Kurt Thomas
- C: Dwight Howard. Joel Prybilla
- plus second rounders and some free agents.
*Try thinking of the line-up where there are 3 players with the last name of Williams playing at the same time.
This is like summer of 2010 for Miami.
Only that we get 2 players and still have may assets.