We need a Gm and a coach. We have 4 draft picks (#6,11,40,41), and $15-20M to spend. Lets keep this short and sweet... Who do you want as our GM and coach, and would you do with the draft picks/cash?
1. GM - David Morway (Indiana GM)
Why: Good track Record
2. Coach - Brian Shaw (Indiana Assistant)
Why: We have a young team and need a young guy who knows how to relate to players and has been there before. Plus Morway and Shaw have a great connection and familiarity which will help a lot in regards to dealing with Paul Allen/Larry Miller and the powers that be. I think one of the hardest things for new coachs/GMs in portland is they are basically coming in to a family as an outsider so they have to walk on egg shells. Bringing in 2 guys who have close connections and familiarity will help the growth of everyone.
3. #6 - Draft Drummond if he's available, if not take Harrison Barnes.
Why: Both are big guys that allow us flexibility with FA's and insurance in regards to Batum/Hickson.
4. #11 - Draft Tyler Zeller or Kendal Marshall..if neither are available trade/package the pick.
Why: Zeller or Marshal continue to give us flexibility in regards to FA's, are instant upgrades, and fill immediate needs. Nobody else fits what we need and that pick is worth more to other teams if Zeller and Marshall are off the board.
5. #40 and 41: Plain and simple ....Draft best available or use these picks to package for a veteran. see below.
BEST CASE SCENARIO
PG Kyle Lowry/Kendal Marshal
SG Wesley/Elliot Williams
PF LA/Craig Smith
C Drummond/Chris Kaman/Kurt Thomas
We would probably still have cap space and wouldn't be limited in the future. Youth, NO bad contracts, and cap flexibility. Thats how you build a steady playoff contender.