We're going to use the natural break of the 1992 Finals defeat to set aside the historical retrospectives for a week, allowing me to go on a little vacation with the family and allowing us to take up a little project known as the Blazer Star Smackdown. You may remember that last year we ran the Blazers Scrubdown to determine Portland fans' favorite lesser-known Blazer of all time. That was won by Mark Bryant. This year we've got a bracket of 24 of Portland's better-known stars from the last 40 years. You'll vote for them in head-to-head matchups until one emerges the victor and is declared Portland's favorite Blazer star of all time*! (We'll explain that asterisk in a minute.)
The rules are simple:
- Each day you'll get a head-to-head matchup. Vote for one as the winner. Use any criteria you wish: talent, contributions, effect, or just that you like 'em better.
- Consider only a player's Portland tenure in your decision. Nothing for other teams counts!
- We are NOT doing simple polls on these because polls can be spammed. One account, one vote in the comment section.
- Please label your vote clearly in the subject line of your comment. Feel free to explain at length and argue in the body of the comment. We encourage discussion replies but please do NOT cast your original vote seeded as a reply to someone else's comment.
- The *asterisk* above indicates this caveat: Bill Walton, Clyde Drexler, Maurice Lucas, and Terry Porter will not be a part of the Star Smackdown. By contributions or popularity they're superstars and would probably make the other voting meaningless. We're reserving a special category for them in another year.
In the comment section below please vote for one of these players:
Enjoy the matchups this week!