He's soft, plays no defense ... and he's German. BUT he does have a highly effective (unstoppable) shot AND he knows how to get to the free throw line. Plus ... he's really tall.
Any "Top Ten" list is so skewed by an endless amount of variables and opinions that no list would be conclusive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So, another way to put it would be ... Are there ten NBA players (past or present) that you'd rather have on your roster than Dirk? If not, then he's a top 10 player.
Are there ten players that I would put on a roster ahead of him? For simplicity sake, I didn't include any of the deserving players who were paving the way before I was born (Chamberlin, Russell, Robertson, etc) and only selected the more recent ones. Here's my list (assuming they were all in their prime):
1. Michael Jordan (duh!)
2. Tim Duncan (even if his game is boring)
3. Shaq (imagine if he actually worked on his game)
4. Kobe Bryant (although I'm not happy about it)
5. Magic Johnson (had some great teammates though)
6. Lebron James (give it some time ... you'll love him again)
7. Hakeem Olajuwon (really miss watching him play)
8. David Robinson (even though he got "owned" by Hakeem)
9. Sir Charles (just for the entertainment value alone)
10. Dwight Howard (although Dirk's free throws would look pretty good)
I think Dirk might fall into the next 10, along with Ewing, Drexler, Wade and Babbitt (kidding). Like I said though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So who did I miss? Who would make it into your Top Ten? Would Dirk?
Let me know.