Quotes via Ben Golliver at the presser:
- "This was an extremely difficult. We wish Kevin well." Larry Miller
- This process was more public and took longer than any of us would have liked but that was indicative of how critical a decision this was. --PA
- Blazers PR distributes release: "trail blazers gm kevin pritchard relieved of his duties."
More to come. Miller, Born and Buchanan to speak. PA and KP not.
- "Kevin was a tremendous leader." -- Born ... "Still discussing options on Gomes." -- Buchanan
- "Kevin was phenomenal... I thought he did an unbelievable job like he always does... [The situation] was obviously difficult." -- Buchanan
1. "It's been a long day, an interesting day." Larry Miller
2. Larry Miller explictly rules out Mark Warkentien as GM candidate.
That would be one word for it...
The Official Press Release
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Trail Blazers have relieved general manager Kevin Pritchard of his duties, the team announced today.
"This process was more public and took longer than any of us would have liked, but that was indicative of how critical a decision this was for the franchise," said Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen. "We want to thank and acknowledge Kevin for his solid work in getting us to where we are today. Parting ways with a popular general manager is not something we take lightly. In the end, we decided to make a change."
Pritchard, 42, joined the Trail Blazers as the team's director of player personnel prior to the 2004-05 season and served as the team's interim head coach for the final 27 games of that campaign.
"This was an extremely difficult decision," Trail Blazers President Larry Miller said. "We wish Kevin well, and thank him for his valuable leadership and his many contributions. We remain dedicated to building a team of strong character and talent, as we stay firmly committed to bringing another championship to Portland."
Pritchard, promoted to assistant general manager in 2006, became the franchise's eighth general manager on March 29, 2007.
Miller says a conversation between Pritchard & Allen (and no one else) resulted in decision to relieve KP of his job. Miller was not there.