So I'll probably be gone before there's any activity in this Junk, but here goes anyway. Today's junk is about canons--things whose merits are so sacred, you compare stuff to it rather than question its greatness.
Basketball: Michael Jordan obviously, but what about someone like Bill Russell? All we know about him is his stats kinda suck, but because geezers tell us he was good when they watched him play, you lose credibility for questioning him.
Colleges: IIRC, the U.S. News rankings aren't really a measure of any actual indicia of quality, but actually modified each year to make sure Harvard, Yale and Princeton are on top in some order.
Music: Led Zeppelin, Beethoven, Pavement, Biggie depending on your preferences.
Books: Dan Brown and Danielle Steel, right?
Do canons harm are ability to criticize and view stuff without preconceptions, or do they give us much needed guidance in an all too free-form world?
The daily Junk Drawer (JD) fanpost is the place for true off-topic conversation and people's random thoughts. Its purpose was simple from its infancy; a place where people could come and chat about all of the "whatevers" that didn't fit with the rest of the site and even be loose in terms of byplay and humor. The goal was to foster community...to let people who wanted to get to know each other outside of what they could discern from the strictly basketball posts. We've had happy JD's, sad ones, drawers that looked like a sharing circle, drawers that resembled open mic night at the comedy club... and people have really become a family here.
So if you have a one-off thought, consider posting it here. Everyone else is doing the same, so you will find the JD an eclectic place where you might read something interesting, pointless, profound, or just funny within a few moments. The rules about importance and significance of the topic are suspended in each JD but keep some of these basic rules in mind:
- Be mindful that every image posted slows down the JD, so use discretion in how many you post (you can also link to images you want to share so that they will not overwhelm the JD). When you do post images, put something in the subject line of the comment so that the image can be minimized.
- Ad hominem attacks and swearing will never be tolerated
- No pictures or talk of spiders of any kind
- Talk of the Miami Heat is forbidden.
- Remember everything you write is visible publicly
- Mentioning of baseball is not allowed unless it's to say it sucks and you're glad it's finally over.
- Any comment containing the words "Kevin" and/or "Durant" will be deleted and you will be banned for the rest of this blog's existence; no exceptions.
- Don't use the JD to call out or talk about users from other BEdge threads.
As you try and navigate through the junk drawer, remember that you can use 'Z' on your keypad to mark a comment as read and move to the next one and hitting shift-A will mark all comments as read.
Danielle Steel (3 votes)
Dan Brown (7 votes)
10 total votes